Currently Reading: October

I love reading but I'm also a very slow reader and I get distracted very easily. My goal in the annual Goodreads Reading Challenge therefore was to read 20 books, a quite achievable goal, but still pretty challenging for me. So far I've read 12 and am four books behind schedule. But there are still somewhat over two months left to reach my goal of twenty and I am determined to make it! But since I moved to Spain 1.5 months ago, I couldn't bring many books with me. At least not physical copies. Before I went here I bought a Kindle e-reader (god bless Prime Day lol) and I downloaded a lot of books to read. But also brought three *real* books with me (which are also still to be read). I haven't written about books I'm currently reading or want to read for a while now, so I thought it would be a good time to do it again!


Bringing books to Valencia...

The three physical books I brought with me are A Feast for Crows by GRRM (part four of ASOIAF), Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, and The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I brought the latter because it's partly set in Spain and I thought it would be a good idea to read a book that's set in the country I'll be living in for a few months. I don't know a lot about Everything I Never Told You actually, I wanted to avoid all kinds of spoilers, but I read the first two pages and it sounded so good, that I decided to take it with me. Lastly, A Feast for Crows is part of my eternal project to finish the ASOIAF series one day. I'm in some sort of battle about who is slower, GRRM writing or me reading. I think A Feast for Crows is the slowest part/the part with the least action so far. I think I'm almost halfway through but I just can't make myself read it at the moment, there are so many (well, a few) tedious POVs in this one. I would love to finish it this year though, but I guess I have to wait and see if I can make it or not. Reading should be fun and I don't want to force myself too much here.

English Literature Classics

One of my classes at uni is called "English Theatre from the 19th to the 21st Century" and as an assessment we have to read and review ten plays our professor predetermined. So far I've read two out of ten (The Importance of Being Earnest and Look Back in Anger). Other plays I still have to read are for example Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett or Blasted by Sarah Kane. I normally don't read plays but they're actually pretty good and easy to read. I think people (i.e. I) often forget that plays are also important literary texts. And so far, although I'm studying English Literature, I kind of neglected reading "classics". Which is one of the reasons I downloaded a lot of 19th Century literature (the other reason is that you can get these books for free lol) on my Kindle. There is a lot I have to catch up to. Currently I'm reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Treasure Island. The next books I plan on reading are Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, North and South, Northanger Abbey and Wuthering Heights (19th century women writers ftw haha). 

Current favourite

One last book I'm also currently reading, every now and then a few chapters, and which I think is very important and very good (at least so far) is Matt Haig's Reasons to Stay Alive. It provides such a good insight into what it is like to suffer from depression and anxiety. It's also beautifully written, I constantly start tearing up while reading it!

So yeah, as you can see I still have a lot of reading to do in the rest of October, November and December. I also can't wait to read and buy more *real* books when I'm back in Germany. There are so many books on my TBR and to-buy lists!

What are you currently reading? And what is your favourite 19th century English literature classic? 

xx Connie

PS: You can also send me friend-requests on Goodreads to stay updated with my reading process, if you want to! :)

Comments

Popular Posts